Event Recap: October 2014: Performance Management Makeover
October 21st, 2014: “Performance Management Makeover: From Bothersome HR Distraction to Creating Strategic Advantage“
During the October 2014 meeting of the HR BioTech Connect group, Jamie Resker of Employee Performance Solutions delivered a timely presentation to help organizations review and improve their performance management processes.
The performance review is a central HR responsibility and affects everyone in the organization. Ratings, pay decisions and well-meant constructive criticism set up a manager against employee dynamic (with HR seen as enforcer of a process no one likes). This session provided new thinking, tools and a personalized action plan for remaking and rebranding performance management from HR distraction to a strategic advantage for your organization. Some of the key takeaways provided to attendees included:
- Why the worst time to talk about performance is during the annual performance review; what to do instead.
- The role of ratings: there’s a better approach.v
- Example of a simple process that can increase the instances of informal yet structured performance conversations between managers and employees (in between formal reviews).
- Identifying the parts of your existing tools and process that work (we’ll show you where to find them), keeping what’s important and “retiring” the parts that are redundant or don’t add value.
- Identifying and replacing unfriendly performance management distractions so that the process feels more collaborative and developmental.
- Seeing and receiving examples of simple and streamlined forms, performance measurement models and rating scales.
- Hearing what other organizations have titled their forms; some have done away with the outdated terms of appraisal, evaluation and review.
- Gaining insight into how to socialize some of these ideas within your organization and open people’s eyes to new performance management practices and possibilities.
We are quite thankful to Jamie for delivering this important and exciting presentation, and we are also grateful for all of the HR BioTech Connect members that attended this event!
If you would like to receive a copy of the resources that Jamie provided during her presentation, please contact Jeanne Nicholson.
Learn about other HR BioTech Connect Events >>